We were ecstatic to have the 2019 Dete Big Run be organised, pulled off and celebrated by the communities living in and around Dete town again.
In its 11th year running, graciously sponsored by the Jane Bubear Sports Foundation, the 2019 Dete Big Run saw 659 adults and over 300 primary school children register to run.
Primary School participants were from a local cluster of schools in the area, including; St Francis, Sir Roy, Dopota, Chezhou, Mambanje and Hwange Main Camp Primary Schools. Sport Directors from these schools helped plan the Big Run as well as help form part of the marshals. Excitingly, in the spirit of collaboration, this year an invite was extended to other stakeholders to help be part of organising the event. The Hide, Painted Dog Conservation, ZimParks and Miombo Safari Camp all offered some resources and the National Athletics Association of Zimbabwe was present to observe too. Its encouraging to see the event grow from strength to strength and serve as a force to bring people together for good, healthy community fun.
Watch this video to understand why these events are so important for us
A few interesting points about this year’s event:
- The Fun Run athletics were divided into four categories which are the Primary School Kids that run 2km, the Youth (15-35 year olds), the Open category (36-59 year olds) and the Veterans (60 and above).
- The fastest person recorded to have finished the 10km race did it in 26 minutes and it was a male ranger from Zim Parks.
- The medals and trophies were awarded to the first 3 females and males in 2 of the categories (youth & open) and then the first 5 females and males in the Vets category received medals, trophies and food hampers.
- Two lucky community members (both youth females) also won a bicycle each from the raffle draw of the race numbers.
- The fun run was attended by a variety of stakeholders in Dete such as the Hwange Rural District and local safari camps such as Miombo, The Hide and Sable Sands that sent through their representatives to join in this renowned community event.
- ABCF invited the National Athletics Association of Zimbabwe to observe the fun run and assist by providing feedback on how to make it more appealing fun run while incorporating an element of professionalism.
- This year’s fun run attracted a lot of attention including that of the local Chronicle newspaper which sent through their correspondent to cover the event https://www.sundaynews.co.zw/10km-fun-run-brings-dete-town-to-life/
- As per tradition, the fun run event has its prelude being the visit to the Dete Old Age people’s home to donate some of the necessities they would have highlighted.
- For this year Sister Mwembe the person responsible for the day to day running at the home had requested that we assist with bedding and dining utensils for the home.
- 24 kango cups and 24 dinner plates were donated, together with 3 hand washing dishes, 20 spoons, 2 kettle jugs and 20 pairs of single bed sheets.
- The donation was made at the Dete Old Age people’s home on the 29th of March.
- The ABCF staff and the Winter family had a tour of the Old Age Home and got to learn more about their daily operation, it currently houses 18 people (16 men & 2 women) with a staff complement of 5 people.